Bagdad was named in 1882 for a copper claim by W.J. Pace and J.M. Murphy. In 1910, a post office was established.
Bagdad was the last modern day, independent copper mine that started out as a prospect and was developed without the support of a major company or sister companies into a respectably-producing copper mine. It maintained its independence for about 90 years when it merged with Cyprus Mines Corporation in 1973. (excerpt from Some Talk about a Copper Mine)